The latest news buzzing around the points world is the American Express Gold card which currently earns 4x at U.S. restaurants only, will now earn 4x at all restaurants throughout the globe. Note: the ‘restaurant’ has to be coded as a restaurant for you to receive the 4x. I’m pretty excited about this change which is scheduled to be effective, today June 6th, 2019. I’m not entirely sure why Amex didn’t just make this earning structure from the beginning, but they are making the change now. With me personally having several international trips planned, I definitely will be bringing along on American Express Gold card.
As far as the other benefits go, they will remain the same:
- 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. Supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in purchases annually)
- 3X Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines and amextravel.com
- $120 annual dining credit – up to $10 per month in statement credits when the American Express Gold Card is used at any of the following:
- Grubhub & Seamless
- The Cheesecake Factory
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House
- participating Shake Shack locations
- $100 airline fee credit
- No foreign transaction fees
Please refer to my previous post here for additional benefits.
Also, I would like to mention, effective September 1, 2019, Amex must receive payment of the amount due by the due date for a billing period, instead of closing date of next billing period, in order to avoid forfeiting the points you would have earned.